As you wait impatiently for the traffic to move, do you ever wonder why you have to wait so long in traffic? There are professionals, called traffic engineers, who actually study such questions and use their knowledge of math and science to resolve the problem of long lines or queues. If you would like to learn more about the math [...]
Grade: 9 or 10 Content Area: Mathematics (Algebra) Common Core Standards: Math Practice (MP): MP1, MP2, MP4, MP5, MP6, and MP7 Before you begin this activity, please read “Waiting in line: A transportation challenge” to understand how Queuing Theory is used for solving traffic problems. In this activity you will use queuing theory to understand how to manage queues in [...]
Grade Level: High School, Mathematics When it rains paved surfaces like roads, sidewalks, and parking surfaces prevent water from being absorbed into the earth. Instead, the rain water collects on the pavement’s surface and creates runoff. The problem with runoff is that it typically collects pollutants as it moves over the impenetrable surfaces creating polluted water that can be harmful to [...]
Grade Level: 9, Mathematics Research has shown that sending or receiving a text takes a driver’s eyes off the road for an average of 5 seconds. Calculate the length that a driver will drive “blind” at the following speeds: 55 MPH 60 MPH 65 MPH 70 MPH 75 MPH 80 MPH Write your answer in the table below. Use Excel [...]
Download files Hybrid math problems (data table included) Hybrid math problem (data table not included) Excel worksheet
How much does it cost to go to school and back in a car, a diesel bus, or a hybrid bus?
Rail-trails and other types of recreational trails, when built carefully, can help improve water quality by acting as buffer zones.
Solve the 3 problems to find out if there’s enough surface area for solar cells to supply its electrical needs.
Subscribe to Go!
- ‘C6’ virtual reality room ties in transportation research at multiple dimensions
- The more you know: What technologies can help reduce road fatalities?
- Accelerated bridge construction—constructability is KEY!
- One bike, two bikes, shared bikes: Bike-sharing program in Ames, Iowa
- The more you know: How countries are combating road fatalities
- The more you know: Safety statistics around the world
- How the video game “DAVinCI Flight” is helping schools reach STEM education goals